Always good with up-to-date stats, and even better when they are coming from the direct source! So here are the fresh user numbers issued by Facebook in February 2012 in the Facebook registration statement for Facebook´s planned IPO this year.
Amount of Facebook users as of December 31, 2011
• Facebook had 845 million monthly active users (MAUs), 39% more than in December 2010.
So, from the approx. 2 billion internet users worldwide, 42% are active Facebook users!!
• Facebook had 483 million daily active users (DAUs) on average in December 2011. This is 48% more than in December 2010. (in other words: slightly more than half of the Facebook users are using Facebook daily)
• Facebook had more than 425 million MAUs who used Facebook mobile products in December 2011. (providing no stream of revenue for Facebook yet)
Facebook usage as an everyday activity
• Facebook had on average 360 million users who were active with Facebook on at least six out of the last seven days (during December 2011).
Numbers on importance of connections and sharing content
• There were more than 100 billion friend connections on Facebook (December 31, 2011) (I have a hard time with the “zeros” here; anyway far more than one can imagine)
• On average more than 250 million photos per day were uploaded to Facebook in the three months ended December 31, 2011. (that makes more than 10 million per hour if I counted right)
• Facebook users generated an average of 2.7 billion Likes and Comments per day during the three months ended December 31, 2011.
• There are more than 37 million Facebook Pages with ten or more Likes. (artists, public figures, businesses, brands, charities). Examples of popular Pages on Facebook include Lady Gaga, Disney, and Manchester United, each of which has more than 20 million Likes.